Genghis Grill is one of my favorite places to eat. In December 2004, I was preparing to leave Nashville and move to Dallas for a new job I had just been hired for. One particular evening I joined several friends at Genghis Grill for one of what I remember being several going-away parties (which actually became quite the running joke). I had been working on my bowl-building technique for some time and this was the perfect opportunity to do a Genghis Grill tutorial video. And now, dusted off from the myspace video wasteland, here’s the masterpiece in all its glory… Fun With Grant At Genghis Grill from Grant Jenkins on Myspace. A few things I’d like to point out as you watch…
- As you may notice, I have hair. This was a little over 5 years ago and it’s not that it’s shocking or anything, but it certainly is weird seeing it. I don’t miss it.
- My friend Stan’s commentary is hilarious. “Man, you got a lot of shrimp.”
- By 1:15, the bowl appears to be full. Really full, actually. But don’t let your eyes deceive you! Where there’s a thin, flat vegetable, there’s a way!
- I’m not sure my video is the cause for it, but it is worth noting that Genghis Grill no longer has the long snow peas. Instead, the long pods are cut in half before being placed on the food bar, making my Jericho Wall of Snow Peas pretty much impossible to construct now. I would actually love to be able to claim responsibility for this.
- You’ll notice at about 1:25, when I begin building said Jericho Wall of Snow Peas, that I apparently have no shame and am doing so right in front of a Genghis Grill employee.
- I love the part at about 1:58 where you can hear the lady behind us tell her child that he can go around me.
- I believe I already mentioned the hair. Yes… yes, I did.
- My favorite line: “And you’ll notice, because I built the wall with the snow peas, I can get so much more in the bowl. More than you could normally get.” LOL!! Food Network, here I come!
- I should tell you that while I still really enjoy Genghis Grill, I build a very different bowl these days. 🙂
This video still cracks me up every time I watch it!